Customs duties are probably the oldest form of taxation in India. They are as old as international trade itself. Just as domestic production flows provide the base for excise taxation, so are international trade flows are the basis for customs duties.
Customs duty is a duty or tax, which is levied by Central Govt. on import of goods into, and export of goods from India. It is collected from the importer or exporter of goods, but its incidence is actually borne by the consumer of the goods and not by the importer or the exporter who pay it.
These duties are usually levied with ad valorem rates and their base is determined by the domestic value of the imported goods calculated at the official exchange rate. Similarly, export duties are imposed on export values expressed in domestic currency.
Here, our team of experts makes us well qualified to handle the consultancy demands in areas such as:
- Assistance to importers to minimize customs duty and other supply chain costs
- Advice on customs procedures and documentation
- Advice on customs valuation
- Assistance in case of regular and provisional assessments
- Filing duty drawback claims
- Obtaining refunds in case of exports
- Assistance in planning, documentation, application preparation and coordination with ministry to obtain approvals for project imports.